Definitely not the ending that I was hoping for but okay…
We started the final episode with Shancai looking like she was playing “My Quarter of a Boyfriend” in real life. It felt like she was playing an otome (lol). Sign me up for this game please haha!
Aww! Who would have thought that we would ever hear the word “love” from Ximen in this manner?
My feels came rushing in to my system when it was Lei’s turn to “sell” himself to Shancai. I love you, Lei! You deserve all the happiness in the world *sniffs*.
So cheesy! I never thought that we would ever hear these words from Shancai.
I have some few issues regarding this frame:
1.) Why are those boys even considered as Dao Ming Si’s groomsmen?! It just goes to show that he really only has F3 as his true friends and everyone else is just irrelevant lol. They just had to get those boys since F3 was busy re-introducing themselves to Shancai…
2.) I would have loved it more if Dao Ming Si was wearing a white suit and everyone else was wearing black. Although they probably wanted him to wear black since it suited his character more but he’s already a changed man! It reminded me of “Gossip Girl” when they made Chuck Bass wear a white suit to his wedding and it was just so lovely. Wished this drama took notes from there instead haha!
Of course, Hua Ze Lei had to be the one to bring her to the groom *insert bittersweet tears*. I liked this more instead of him officiating the wedding just like what they did to Hana Yori Dango because that was ridiculously funny.
Really, Shancai? You’re still unsure if you’re just dreaming or not? *Facepalms*.
Hua Ze Lei just had to reassure Shancai that she would be making the right decision *slight tears*
Can anyone explain why/how Zhuang jie is capable of officiating their wedding?
And they lived happily ever after!
Dao Ming Feng is going on an “Eat. Pray. Love” mission after some realizations of how she has just been working this whole time.
They are at it again by writing on each other’s faces! Dao Ming Si wrote “tai tai” or “wife” on his new property.
The product placements just could not spare us even on the finale. They must have really paid the drama a lot to have nabbed such critical appearances here.
Let’s just enjoy this new husband-wife sweetness that we’re getting!
Last product placement to appear in this drama: New F4’s dating game app. Can they please make this available to the international audience too?
Meteors started to rain marking the ending of this refreshing and lovely adaptation!
Before I start fangirling over this part, I just wanted to say that Kuan Kuan looked so weird here maybe because they obviously edited him in this London background?
Moving on, for the first and last time in this drama, they played the original F4’s “Liu Xing Yu” or “Meteor Rain”. Such a great homage especially to fans like us who have always loved the original “Meteor Garden”. They even made it more special by focusing on the 2018 actor/character when their 2001 counterpart starts to sing. So they started playing it while focusing on Darren Chen/Hua Ze Lei and Vic Zhou was the one singing.
Jerry Yan starts to sing so they focused it on Dylan Wang/Dao Ming Si.
It was Ken Chu’s turn so they focused it on Caesar Wu/Ximen.
And for the last line, Van Ness Wu finished it off as it focused on Leon Leong/Meizuo. Such a genius and heartwarming touch, right? I was so mind-blown!
So Ximen made Meizuo feel worse by telling him that he will be the only one alone as he had plans with Xiaoyou. Aww man, they really should have made Meizuo and Monkey Girl a thing in this version haha!
Speaking of Monkey Girl, she has already found her red string (literally and symbolically) partner in Thomas… Pretty random, but okay.
Jing is already living her dream of having a fulfilling career.
17 years after, Harlem Yu was invited again by Angie Chai to sing his phenomenal hit, “Qing Fei Di Yi” for the finale of the drama.
In the 2001 version, only Dao Ming Si and Shancai met with Harlem Yu and they did not stay to jam with him. For this version, they all sang along and even the creator, Angie Chai, joined the party!
In a nutshell,
- Wait, what just happened? That was already the ending?! I spent almost all of my free weekends marathoning and blogging just to get that kind of ending? Obviously, I am truly beyond disappointed with how they came up with this ending.
- I don’t even have much thoughts about this ending because all I have are rants and questions as to why they ended this drama in this way.
- I will not dwell on them so much as I want to focus more on the positive things in this final episode recap/review. You can still feel free to rant in the comments below and I would gladly respond to them and share more rants haha!
- It was great that this version finally gave us a wedding in the finale although it was not the wedding that we deserved… Everything seemed to have been a bit rushed that I felt it was not given much thought. Why was Shancai still confused if she was dreaming or in reality? Why was Zhuang jie aka Dee Hsu dancing to “River”? Why was Dao Ming Si acting weird only to appear with his irrelevant groomsmen when Shancai said that she loves him? Where were Shancai’s parents and Ah Si’s mom during their wedding?
- Loved the snippets of Shancai and Dao Ming Si’s life as a newly-married couple. Wish we had gotten more and not just because they had to include some product placements…
- It was nice that they showed us the other characters’ endings for closure’s sake although I did not really care for some aka Caina.. HAHA! I am forever bitter about her character even up to this day lol
- What happened to not dwelling on the negativity? I completely contradicted what I just said haha! I guess I just could not find a lot more positive things than I thought I would.
A message to our lovely readers:
Before I end this final episode review for good, I would just like to thank you all for the endless support that you have been giving ever since day 1. Reading, liking, commenting, tweeting, and more are your ways of supporting this blog that I would always get overwhelmed because of the positivity that you have been exuding. Blogging, especially recapping, takes so much time that if it were not for you all, I would not even bother to do it because I could have just given all that amount of time to watching other dramas. My writing may not be perfect (and I don’t think it ever will) but knowing that it became a medium for you to share your thoughts and feelings already means so much to me.
So once again, THANK YOU! Hope that our ties will never break even though MG2018 has already ended. So for one last time, let me ask you this question: What did you think of MG2018’s finale?